This time of year brings out individuals who are looking for crimes of opportunity as well as those thieves who actually follow delivery trucks and target homes when the delivery is made.
You wouldn’t leave your shopping bags on your doorstep? Why would you leave your packages?
If you are taking advantage of online shopping, there are a few things you can do to reduce your chances of being victimized by thieves:
- Have the package delivered to your workplace if it is allowed or to a trusted neighbor or friend who is more likely to be home.
- Choose a shipping option that requires you to sign for delivery or track the delivery status online so you can try to be home when the package arrives. Some retailers or shipping companies even offer text messages to your cell phone to alert you when items have been delivered.
- One final option is to ask the shipping company to hold your package for customer pick-up at their local facility.
- If you do not receive your shipment on time, track your package to confirm the delivery.
- If the item was delivered and you did not receive it, report the theft or loss to the original company, the shipping company, and to the Portland Police Bureau.
As always, watch for suspicious behavior in your neighborhood, especially if you see a delivery truck making the rounds and a vehicle following behind or unfamiliar subjects on foot and call 9-1-1 if you observe a crime in progress.