1. Members shall, on all occasions in the performance of their duties or after identifying themselves as a Bureau member, be respectful, courteous and considerate toward their supervisors, their subordinates, all other members and the public.
2. The use of profanity is generally prohibited, except when necessary to quote another person in reports or in testimony. All other use of profanity will be judged on the totality of the circumstances in which it is used. An example may be if a member uses profanity to establish control so as to avoid the use of more serious physical or deadly force. All such uses will be documented in a police report.
3. No member shall use epithets or terms that tend to denigrate any particular gender, race, nationality, sexual orientation, ethnic or religious group, except when necessary to quote another person in reports or in testimony.
- Originating Directive Effective: 09/06/01
- First Revision Effective: 09/05/03
- Second Revision Effective: 07/08/14
- Third Revision Effective: 4/10/15
- Next Review Date: 04/10/16
- Review By: Professional Standards Division