UPDATE: Two Portland Police Officers Assaulted During Arrest of Man Who Attacked Three People

November 03, 2012 17:35


Attachment: VIEW FILES

38-year-old Brian Delashmutt was released from the hospital and booked into the Multnomah County Jail an numerous charges.

Delashmutt was charged with two counts each of Assaulting a Public Safety Officer, Assault in the Fourth Degree, Criminal Trespass in the Second Degree, and three counts of Resisting Arrest.

The officers, a 23-year-veteran and a 10-year-veteran, have both been released from the hospital and will be recovering at home. Due to medical privacy, the Portland Police Bureau cannot release their specific injuries at this time.



This morning, Saturday November 3, 2012, at 7:45 a.m., Portland Police officers assigned to North Precinct responded to the report of an assault at USA Gas, located at 4445 Northeast Cully Boulevard. As officers were enroute, they learned that the suspect was outside the gas station.

Officers arrived and contacted the suspect who refused commands and fought with both officers. The suspect got away from the officers and began to run westbound on Prescott, continuing to fight with officers for several blocks. Officers deployed pepper spray, ASP batons, and Tasers to no avail and the suspect continued to fight.

Cover officers arrived and also deployed pepper spray and a Taser, which ultimately led to the suspect surrendering to police in the 5700 block of Northeast Prescott Street.

After the suspect was in custody, officers learned that the suspect lived at a residential mental health facility in the 5700 block of Northeast Prescott Street and that prior to the attack at the gas station, he violently assaulted another resident of the facility, then left on foot.

The suspect then approached a customer getting gas at USA gas and assaulted him, then assaulted the gas station attendant, who was taken to the hospital for treatment to non-life-threatening injuries.

The original two officers who contacted the suspect also have been taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The suspect, a 37-year-old male, also was transported to a Portland hospital for treatment to non-life-threatening injuries.

Officers are maintaining a crime scene in the area as they gather evidence and talk to witnesses.

As is standard protocol in all officers use-of-force incidents, they will be documented and subject to an administrative review.

No charges have been filed yet and updates will be released when they become available.


Attachment: VIEW FILES


Media Relations:
Sgt. Pete Simpson
Desk: 503-823-0830
Pager: 503-790-1779

Portland Police Bureau
1111 SW 2nd Ave, Suite 1526
Portland, Oregon 97204