UPDATE #2 - ARREST: Portland Police SERT Responding to Northeast Portland Motel on Report of Possibly Armed Man

UPDATE #2 - ARREST: Portland Police SERT Responding to Northeast Portland Motel on Report of Possibly Armed Man

February 28, 2013 08:50


On February 27, 2013, at 11:30 p.m., Portland Police officers assigned to East Precinct assisted the US Marshals Fugitive Task Force with locating a wanted subject, 34-year-old James David Tautfest at the Travelodge Motel, located at 3828 Northeast 82nd Avenue.

Tautfest was wanted out of Washington State for Identity Theft, Forgery, Theft and Possession of a Control Substance. The Fugitive Task Force had information Tautfest was staying at the Travelodge Avenue with his 15-year-old runaway sister.

US Marshals entered the Travelodge while Portland Police officers established a perimeter around the hotel. Tautfest barricaded himself inside the apartment with his sister and claimed to be armed.

The Portland Police Special Emergency Reaction Team (SERT) was activated along with the Crisis Negotiation Team (CNT) and the hotel was evacuated.

Shortly after SERT and CNT arrived at the scene, Tautfest released his sister but refused to come out.

During the standoff Tautfest, who was high on methamphetamine, kicked a hole in the hotel wall, entered an adjacent attic, crashed through the floor and entered the weight room below. He then climbed back through the floor and crawled back into the room.

CNT made a phone call into the room and spoke to Tautfest for approximately two hours. Negotiations with Tautfest stalled so SERT deployed tear gas into the hotel room.

Tautfest eventually gave up and was taken into custody without incident. The hotel room was thoroughly searched but a firearm was never found.

Tautfest was then transported to the Multnomah County Jail and lodged on his warrants.



At approximately 3:45 a.m. this morning, Portland Police SERT officers took the suspect into custody after deploying tear gas into his room. After gas was deployed, the 34-year-old male suspect surrendered without incident. The suspect was alone in his room at the time of his surrender.

Northeast 82nd Avenue will be opening as soon as police vehicles and equipment is cleared from the lanes of traffic.

There is still an ongoing investigation and no additional details are anticipated to be released until after 9:00 a.m.



The Portland Police Special Emergency Reaction Team (SERT) is responding to the Travelodge Portland Airport hotel, located at 3848 Northeast 82nd Avenue, on the report of a possibly armed man refusing to leave a motel room.

Northeast 82nd Avenue is closed to all traffic in both directions from Fremont Street to Sandy Boulevard. Police officers have evacuated neighboring motel rooms.

As this is an ongoing tactical situation, no additional information will be released at this time.

Media is advised to remain outside the safety perimeter.

PIO is not responding at this time but will provide updates when feasible.


Attachment: VIEW FILES


Media Relations:
Sgt. Pete Simpson
Desk: 503-823-0830
Pager: 503-790-1779

Portland Police Bureau
1111 SW 2nd Ave, Suite 1526
Portland, Oregon 97204