Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Police Bureau

Sworn to protect. Dedicated to serve.

Phone: 503-823-0000

Fax: 503-823-0342

Non-Emergency: 503-823-3333

1111 S.W. 2nd Avenue, Portland, OR 97204

Public Information Office
Public Information Office List | Login | Sign Up  
 View Item

man shot by police dies of self-inflicted gunshot wound

July 20, 2006 00:00



On Wednesday, July 19, 2006, at 4:17 pm, 36-year-old Officer Richard Steinbronn, a 9-year veteran of the Portland Police Bureau was involved in a shooting with 37-year-old Jerry Goins, an armed subject.

Officer Steinbronn was originally dispatched to the Military Recruiting Facility, located in the 4000 block of Southeast 82nd Avenue, on a 911 call from an individual reporting that a suicidal armed man was en route to the facility to see his girlfriend.

At approximately 3:59 pm, Officer Steinbronn, accompanied by a 19-year-old Portland Police Cadet (who was on a ride-along), arrived at the recruiting facility and quickly determined that the subject was not at the scene. Officer Steinbronn spent approximately 15 minutes talking to the individuals at the recruiting facility. At that time, Officer Steinbronn also spoke with the subject, Goins, on a cell phone.

At approximately 4:15 pm, the officer and cadet exited the recruiting facility and entered their patrol car to leave the area. While sitting in the car, the officer and cadet saw a white male who matched the description of Goins, standing on the sidewalk in front of the recruiting facility, holding a gun. Witnesses told investigators the officer exited his car and repeatedly ordered Goins to drop the handgun. Ignoring the officer’s orders, Goins turned and raised the weapon toward the officer and cadet. Officer Steinbronn shot Goins four times, striking him in the mid-section. None of the gunshot wounds inflicted by the officer were immediately fatal.

Homicide detectives and investigators from the East County Major Crimes Team were called to the scene to conduct an investigation. An autopsy conducted on July 20, 2006, by the Oregon State Medical Examiner has ruled that Goins died of a gunshot wound to the head which, based on evidence at the scene and witness statements, appears to be self-inflicted.

Detectives have learned that Goins, who was enlisted in the Navy and stationed in California, had traveled to Portland because he was emotional over his relationship with his girlfriend. At the time of his death, Goins was also in possession of binoculars and was most likely in the area while speaking to Officer Steinbronn on the cell phone.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Barry Renna at (503) 823-0255 or Detective Mike Geiger at (503) 823-0768.

This investigation is continuing.



Media Relations:
Sgt. Pete Simpson
Desk: 503-823-0830
Pager: 503-790-1779

Portland Police Bureau
1111 SW 2nd Ave, Suite 1526
Portland, Oregon 97204



   More »