Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Office of Management & Finance

Revenue Bureau

Revenue is being re-organized under the Bureau of Revenue and Financial Services.

Phone: 503-823-5157

Arts Tax: 503-865-4278

111 SW Columbia St, Suite 600, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Short Term Rentals

Short Term Rentals

On July 30, 2014, the Portland City Council passed Ordinance No. [  ]. This ordinance permits short term rentals in residential zones when the rental is also the proprietor's primary residence.  If you operate this type of short term rental, you need to obtain a permit from the Bureau of Development Services.  Please visit or call 503-823-7300 for permitting information.

Beginning July 1, 2014 Airbub began collecting the 11.5% Transient Lodging Tax on behalf of their hosts.  Airbnb will be reporting and remitting those funds to the City of Portland Revenue Bureau on a quarterly basis.

  • If your reservations are made using Airbnb, you are required to register with the Transient Lodging Tax Program.  However, you will not be required to submit quarterly reports as Airbmb is reporting and remitting the tax on your behalf.
  • If your reservations are made using Airbnb and / or any other booking system or with you directly, then you are required to register, report and remit transient lodging tzxes to the city.  Any Airbmb rents on or after July 1, 2014 may be deducted on line 5 (Other Allowable Deductions) of the quarterly report.


Use the new Short Term Rental tax forms if you are a Bed & Breakfast, Vacation Rental (owner / operator does not live at home) or "Home Stay" (owner / operator lives at home).

Short Term Rental Permits:

Please contact the Bureau of Development Services for information regarding Short Term Rental permits or call 503-823-7300.