The Bureau of Development Services (BDS) promotes safety, livability and economic vitality through efficient and collaborative application of building and development codes. BDS is committed to being the best development services agency in the country by providing the best service possible and having in place programs and services that are effective, efficient and relevant. The bureau is an integral part of development in the city of Portland. Bureau staff actively work with developers, builders, and homeowners to guide them through the development process.
- Green Team hosts periodic “Soup for Sustainability” lunches, with guest speakers and films addressing environmental issues.
- Other hosted events include week-long educational exhibits for Earth Week in the building lobby, chili cook-offs with recipes focused on local ingredients, and a monthly discussion group using a curriculum from the Northwest Earth Institute.
- Monthly internal newsletter always includes an article related to sustainability.
- At special events and meetings, employees use durable dishware and pitchers of water, rather than disposables and bottled water.
- Safety Committee hosts a monthly fun walk/run/jog at lunchtime to promote employee health and wellness.
Since 2009, staff have participated in the annual Bike Commute Challenge sponsored by the Bicycle Transportation Alliance.
1900 SW 4th Ave Ste 5000, Portland, OR 97201