SAIF Corporation is a not-for-profit, state-chartered workers' compensation company. They make workers' compensation insurance affordable and available to the employers of Oregon, and strengthen the Oregon economy by helping to keep workers' compensation insurance costs low while keeping the workplace safe
In 2008, SAIF created a green team to identify and implement improvements to its sustainability practices. SAIF is based in Salem and has offices in nine locations around Oregon, all of which are impacted by sustainability projects and programs.
- Conducted waste audits and energy audits and used information to educate employees and determine areas for improvement.
- Reduced paper use by over eight million pieces annually by reducing the number of printed reports and making much of the information available online.
Switched from 30% to 100% post-consumer waste copy paper.
- Formed a task force to work towards a completely paperless office.
- Working with Energy Trust on several energy reduction capital projects, such as lighting and HVAC retrofits.
- Has set energy reduction goals and strategies to meet them through capital and operating improvements and behavioral changes.
- Re-landscaped its largest outdoor area to replace turf with “eco-lawn” and nonnative plants with native plants that require less water.
- Has organized a “green fair” every other year since 2008 with about 25 vendors showcasing sustainable products, services, and activities.
1500 SW 1st Ave, Portland, OR 97201