For the last 85 years and counting, Purdy has been manufacturing paint brushes and roller covers in Portland. Purdy strives to continuously reduce their impact on the neighborhood and the environment. Purdy received a BEST Award for their dedication and innovation in becoming a zero-waste-to-landfill facility, the enthusiastic leadership of their “Green Machine” Team, and their exemplary employee and community support.
- BEST Award winner, 2012 – BEST Practices for Sustainability: Large Organization
- Energy savings through lighting upgrades, motion sensors on lighting, and finding and fixing air leaks.
- Monthly energy reports are compared with other Sherwin-Williams facilities as part of an energy savings competition.
- Innovative re-use of all “waste” materials – employees weave plastic strapping into baskets, crochet with leftover string, use roller lint in crafts, and donating rubber bands and other materials to schools.
- ESL classes at no cost to employees (over 14 languages spoken by employees).
- Employee committee plans community volunteer events with Oregon Food Bank, Red Cross, Sisters of the Road and schools.
- Facilitated carpooling through software matching program, competitions & drawings – now ~73 people carpool every day.
- The “Green Machine Team” gives recycle bucks to employees that they catch doing something “Green”; the buck can be used like cash in the Purdy cafeteria.
13201 N Lombard St., Portland, OR 97203