S.D. Deacon is a commercial construction company with offices in Oregon, Washington and California. With divisions in General Construction, Tenant Improvements and Repair & Restoration, they are equipped to accommodate any project, regardless of size, type or location. For 30 years, S.D. Deacon has maintained relationships built upon integrity, performance and cooperation. They provide exceptional service to their clients through proactive problem solving and always basing decisions on what is best for the project. Their people embrace this and respond accordingly, which explains why repeat business accounts for two-thirds of the work they complete each year.
- Reduced their paper use by duplexing and using electronic documents.
- Installed solar panels on their Portland office roof.
- Collect architectural samples and construction plans to donate to SCRAP and local schools.
- Set up an employee website with links to a wide variety of information relating to sustainability at home, in the office and on construction sites.
- Stopped buying disposable dishware in the office and provided employees who work in the field with reusable coffee mugs and water bottles.
They established a Transportation Taskforce that reviewed SD Deacon’s gas use and developed companywide recommendations to reduce gas use, including buying more fuel efficient fleet cars, improving fleet car maintenance, and using fuel efficient driving techniques. Since their biggest environmental impact is in the field with our construction projects, their EcoAction Program focuses heavily on reducing the impact of their construction jobs, including:
- Donating demolition materials to the ReBuilding Center and Habitat for Humanity ReStores.
Developing a comprehensive database of salvage retailers in Oregon that accept used building material for resale.
- Building relationships with haulers and recyclers to collaborate on ways to increase our recycling.
901 NE Glisan, Portland, OR 97232