SERA is a 100% employee-owned Architecture, Interior Design and Urban Design & Planning firm that specializes in sustainable placemaking at all scales. Founded in Portland, Oregon, in 1968, SERA has been instrumental in the development of the city’s national reputation for livability. Today, the firm builds on its early experience of adaptive re-use and historic renovations through high-performance design and planning for hospitality, workplace, mixed-use housing, higher education and civic projects.
- Purchases 100% wind power energy
- Eliminated trash cans at employee desks in 2002
- Performs annual waste audits to track employee habits and find ways to increase diversion rate
- Recycles non-curbside items, such as Styrofoam, light bulbs, batteries, hard and soft plastics
- Participates in Terracycle, a program that turns hard-to-recycle items such as chip bags, energy bar wrappers and ink cartridges into affordable green products
- In addition to providing all employees with transit passes, SERA offers hybrid vehicles and bicycles for low-impact business trips
- Mitigates carbon footprint from airline travel by purchasing carbon offsets
- Buys sustainable office supplies from local vendors
- Named the 19th Best Green Workplace in 2015 by Oregon Business
- 2015, 2012 and 2011 winners of Bicycle Transportation Alliance’s Bike Commute Challenge in the category of businesses of 100-499 employees
- LEED Platinum certified first floor and LEED Gold certified second floor offices
Recycling at SERA, and staff conducting annual waste audit.
338 NW 5th Ave, Portland, OR 97209