Green Dog Pet Supply specializes in environmentally friendly pet supplies and gifts for dogs, cats and their people. They were the first pet supply store of their kind when they opened in 2004, and they strive to make it easy to find fantastic products that are also good for the environment. They believe that living sustainably does not have to mean making drastic changes; simply considering where things come from and where they go when we’re finished with them can be a big step towards living a more environmentally friendly lifestyle. They are also committed to helping peoples' pets live as long and healthy a life as possible through access to excellent nutrition and other forms of holistic support.
- The store is almost entirely constructed with reclaimed materials, including old doors, fences, stair railings, windows, and barnwood.
- In a 2010 move to a larger space, they went to great lengths to reuse every bit of what was in the old store in the new location, including hiring specialty movers to move a giant sales counter, disassemble large built-in shelving, and reassemble them in the new space.
- Kibble that has been returned by the owners of picky pets is donated to Meals on Wheels for seniors to feed their pets who couldn't otherwise afford it; each month's donation is usually 200- 300lb. Hundreds of dented cans are donated to small rescue organizations and to a local pet food bank.
- They encourage customers to recycle gently used pet supplies with us, which we donate to small rescue organizations. Customers get an additional discount during some sales if they bring used pet supplies to recycle.
- Every customer is asked if they want a printed (BPA free) receipt or an e-mailed receipt. Since customers’ purchase history is maintained in-store, returns can be made without a receipt.
- E-mail newsletters and social media are used instead of paper mailings.
- Almost the entire store’s advertising budget has been diverted to animal and environmental charities.
- Each time a customer brings their own bag, they are entered in a monthly drawing for $10 off. The store’s bags are 100% post consumer recycled content.
- In 2013 the store replaced 87 halogen bulbs with LED bulbs, saving more than $1000 a year in energy costs and reducing the frequency of replacement (each bulb has 40,000 hours of life).
- Products the store carries must meet one or more of 6 categories of sustainability.
- The store pushes their suppliers to be more sustainable – requesting and recommending improvements in packaging, shipping materials, and ingredients.
- Bicycle tire repair kit, lock and air pump are available for employees and visitors to use, and employees that commute by bike receive a membership to the Bicycle Transportation Alliance.
4327 NE Fremont St, Portland, OR 97213