Otak is an international award-winning engineering, urban design, planning, architecture, and landscape architecture firm specializing in regional planning; public works; transit, residential, commercial, industrial, and mixed-use developments; and civic, institutional, and recreational projects. Founded in 1981, Otak draws upon the diversity of their in-house talents to find design solutions that are innovative, cost-effective, practical, and strengthen the community in which they appear.
Otak’s sustainability committee, Green Otak (GO), is comprised of senior-level representatives and provides an organizational framework for implementing actions and monitoring progress. Under the GO committee umbrella are three inter-office, inter-disciplinary focus groups—training, operations, and practice—that create goals, work plans, and budgets for each topic area and carry out projects and programs.
- Color copy paper contains 100% post-consumer recycled content, paper towels contain 100% recycled material, and regular copy paper contains 30% post-consumer recycled content.
- Lunchroom is well stocked with sustainable dishware along with an ENERGY STAR-rated dishwasher and refrigerator.
- IT team collects old and broken electronics for recycling.
- Sustainable catering companies used for office lunches and events.
- All cleaning supplies, tools, equipment, and techniques are Green Seal certified and Environmentally Preferred and meet standards set forth by the GS-42 Envrionmental Standard for Commercial and Institutional Cleaning Services.
- Printers are centralized and double-sided printing is the default option for office computers.
- Paperless invoicing is used wherever possible.
- Office-wide composting.
- Catalog Choice used to opt out of junk mail.
- Office lighting is run by motion and daylight sensors and is primarily provided by fluorescent lighting.
- Bike pump and emergency tire repair kit available to staff.
- Approximately 80% of Otak's Portland staff use alternative modes of transportation for commuting.
- Active and public transportation are encouraged for business trips. Car sharing programs are subsidized for business trips where active and public transportation options are not feasible.
- Teleconference and videoconference technology used to minimize travel.
- Otak’s Portland office has all office supplies delivered via cargo trike through B-Line Sustainable Urban Delivery.
- Otak has participated in EcoChallenge, BTA Bicycle Commuter Challenge, and Parking Day.
808 SW 3rd Ave Ste 300, Portland, OR 97204
View Larger Map