- Heavy lifting
- Containers can get very heavy when full or even partially full.
- Staff may need to work in pairs when dumping full containers.
- Consider a policy to only fill containers half-full before dumping.
- Containers should be cleaned regularly to prevent odors and fruit flies.
- For sanitation reasons, containers must be cleaned out at the dump sink, not the food prep sinks.
- Rinse water must go into the sanitary sewer and not storm drains.
- Compostable bags (optional)
- Use of approved compostable bags is optional.
- Minimizes washing required for containers and can reduce odor or fruit fly problems.
- Keeps your exterior collection containers cleaner; especially on hot summer days.
- Makes emptying containers from your food-prep area easier (though these bags are generally not as strong as conventional plastic bags).
- Cost of bags.
- Potentially limited shelf-life; bags can degrade if not used within certain time period.
- Where to buy bags