Green-minded staff from different organizations around Portland gathered at Sustainability at Work’s third Problem Solved event, on July 22, 2014, to share successes and trouble-shoot challenges.
- Small changes are easier to make, and it’s easier to capitalize on successes.
- Pilot new practices – with a small group, or for a short amount of time – before implementing on a large scale.
- Focus on employee education at each step in a new initiative.
- Share information in multiple ways and places: meetings, emails and web content.
- Repetition helps the information stick, and caters to different learning styles.
Know your culture.
- What’s your company culture? Suit and tie or quirky and creative?
- Find messaging, actions, and activities that will resonate with your coworkers.
- Find champions that know the company’s culture.
- Know what motivates your coworkers - recognition, prizes, food – to take action.
- Don’t be shy about reaching out to peers.
- Look to local universities like PSU for student support.
- Strategically engage management to make sure they have your back.
- Use Sustainability at Work staff for guidance – that’s why we’re here!
- Make your achievements known, and have fun with it!
- Celebrate within your Green Team, or involve all staff in a celebration (it might help them pay more attention to the achievement!)
Ready to make your organization more sustainable? Contact us to connect with an advisor or peers!