We captured the top tips from attendees, as well as success stories that you may be able to replicate at your own organization.
- ZGF Architects swapped their leased vehicles with zipcar memberships.
- Integral Consulting replaced parking subsidies with subsidized Trimet passes and incentives to bike commuters. This increased sustainable transit and saved the company money!
- With these strategies, and staff education, Integral Consulting reduced their car miles traveled by 20,000 and increased transit participation by 44%!
- Fortis Construction removed desk-side trash cans and made sure everyone had a desk-side recycling bin. This made recycling more convenient than trash.
- Fortis also collects “beyond the curbside” recycling, like extra plastics, to be taken to a recycling depot. Some staff have started doing this at home too, since learning how to at work.
- Does your organization collect extra recycling to take to a recycling depot, or would you like to start?
- Integral Consulting discovered they could hire B-Line, a sustainable urban delivery company, to pick up a variety of hard-to-recycle items and deliver them to recycling depots.
- Food containers:
- ZGF architects encourages staff to sign up for GO Box, a reusable container system for take-out food, by subsidizing membership.
- Using reusable lunch containers reduces the piles of take-out lunch containers that fill many workplace garbage cans.
- Reduce misprints, improved confidentiality and cut paper use by setting up printer “mailboxes.”
- PGE’s IT staff set up printer mailboxes and saw great results.
- Get crafty! Use scrap paper to make note pads.
- Fill a tote with durable dishware to wash and reuse at company lunches and events.
- Moving locations?
- Set a goal of re-using as much as possible in the new space, and think through what that will take.
- One company did this, and ended up with only a single dumpster of waste.
Quick links from attendees’ suggestions:
- B-line - Extra recycling pick up by bike.
- GO Box – reusable take-out food container program.
- zipcar – sign up for car-sharing at your workplace.
- Trimet – pre-tax and/or subsidized employee transit passes.
Ready to make your organization more sustainable? Contact us to connect with an advisor or peers!