It’s almost September which means it’s Bike Commute Challenge time!
Every year, the Bicycle Transportation Alliance (BTA) organizes the Bike Commute Challenge to encourage more people to commute by bike. The challenge pits workplace against workplace to see who has the highest percentage of bike commutes during the month. In 2013, over 1,000 workplaces competed with over 10,000 riders biking 1.5 million miles.
Go to the BTA’s Bike Commute Challenge website to register and talk to your coworkers about forming a team!
How the Challenge works:
- Register for the challenge and join or start your workplace team.
- Log bike trips online during the month of September.
- At the end of the month, BTA tallies up the percent of bike commutes and announces the winner on October 10th.
What counts as a “bike commute”?
- Riding both ways to work by bicycle.
- Riding one way to work by bicycle (and the other way by any other mode).
- Riding part way to work by pairing biking with transit, driving or any other mode.
Top things you can do to get ready for the challenge:
- Have a bike repair kit in your office.
- Set up a bike buddy system to pair new riders with experienced bike commuters.
- Help each other determine the best bike route between home and work and how long to allow for the trip.
For more details, see tips 2-5 in our “7 ways to support and encourage your workplace bike commuter” blog post.
- Sign up
- Bike Commute Challenge website
- 7 ways to support and encourage your workplace bike commuters – more info on ways to make bike commuting as easy as possible
- Bicycle Transportation Alliance – more info about the organization
Guest post written by Mia Reback, Sustainability at Work intern.