Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Portland Bureau of Transportation

We keep Portland moving

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 800, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Northwest District Parking Plan


During the past few years, city staff have been working closely with residents and businesses to develop a Northwest District Parking Plan. After an extensive review and revision process, the Portland City Council approved a final ordinance and plan in July 2013. Once implemented, visitors to the area will notice some big changes.

  • Metered parking will be installed along NW 21st and 23rd from Burnside toNW Vaughn Street. About 80 percent of those metered spaces will have base time stays of four hours. The remaining 20 percent will have base time stays of two hours.
  • Metered parking installed outside those retail streets will offer four-hour stays. Those meters, including the ones on NW 21st and 23rd streets may be re-plugged. Residential streets will also have a 30-minute short-term space on each block face.
  • Non-metered parking spaces will be limited to four-hour stays for visitors.

Residents living in the area and participating in the (Zone M) permit program, will be exempted from the time caps and fees mentioned, whether the space is metered or unmetered. However, those permits will not apply to metered spaces along and between NW 21st and 23rd streets or to the 30-minute spaces.

The current boundaries for Zone M are Burnside to Irving, 18th to Westover. Once meters are installed, the permit district will stretch from Burnside north toNW Vaughn street and fromNW 16th Avenue west toNW 25th Avenue. The program may be expanded further west upon request.

Background + Planning Process

In 2009, the Portland Bureau of Transportation began working on a plan to address parking challenges in the Northwest District.