20's Bikeway Project
A major connector, stretching from Reed College to Concordia University and beyond, Portland’s 20s Bikeway is in the final stages of design engineering this summer, with construction expected to begin in January 2016. The project is funded through a $2.4 million federal grant.
Here is a taste of some of the many safety improvements this new 9.1 mile world-class bikeway will bring to our city:
- Improved, signalized crossings for people walking and biking on Powell, Hawthorne, Stark, Burnside and Broadway.
- Including a new traffic signal with a median pedestrian island on SE Powell Blvd and 28th Avenue and enhanced diversion for 28th Avenue by making the signal right turn only for motor traffic.
- Enhanced diversion at SE 30th and Stark Street, by making the signal right turn only for southbound car traffic.
- Reduced speeds – a 20 mph speed limit – along greenway portions of the bikeway with stop sign reorientation, speed bumps and sharrows.
- Widening existing, substandard bike lanes from 4 feet to 8 foot buffered bike lanes on SE Woodstock from 28th to 32nd Avenues and on SE 28th Avenue from Holgate to Schiller.
- A new diverter for northbound traffic at SE Holgate and 28th Avenue.
- A median refuge island at SE 29th and Belmont for safer pedestrian crossing.
- Traffic calming on 28th Avenue between SE Stark and NE Glisan to enhance the shared use environment.
- Pedestrian Hybrid Beacons at SE 29th Avenue and Hawthorne, 30th Avenue and East Burnside Street and at NE 26th Ave and Broadway.
- Enhanced crossings and curb extensions at NE Wasco, Fremont, Alberta and Killingsworth.
- Number of schools connected: 13
- Number of arterial crossing improvements: 12
For additional information, please contact Rich Newlands, Project Manager, (503) 823-7780.
Areas that will require parking removal
Information about the 20's Bikeway project
What is the stakeholder advisory committee? View and download meetings minutes, agendas here
Research of the 20's Bikeway route performed in the fall of 2012
Calendar of upcoming events