Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Portland Bureau of Transportation

We keep Portland moving

Phone: 503-823-5185

Fax: 503-823-7576

1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 800, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Temporary Parking, Sidewalk, Street Use Permits

Parking Permits


APPLICATION: To reserve parking spaces, close travel lanes, sidewalks, or streets, use this application form.

We require a minimum of FIVE BUSINESS DAYS to process a permit application.  If your permit application includes the review of a traffic control plan, please allow a minimum of SEVEN BUSINESS DAYS to process your application.

TRAFFIC CONTROL PLANS:  If your work will affect traffic (either vehicle or pedestrian), your application will need to include a traffic control plan (TCP) for our traffic engineer to review.  Click here for more information about preparing a TCP.

PAYSTATION ACCESS:  If your work will block access to a parking paystation, click here for information about requirements.

PARKING ENFORCEMENT OPTIONS:  If you are requesting to reserve parking in a non-metered area, click here for more information about permit enforcement options.

STORAGE CONTAINERS:  If you will be placing a portable storage container in a parking space and do not wish to reserve a parking space in advance, you may qualify for an over-the-counter Quick Permit.  Click here for more information.

FEES: For accurate fee information, please contact the Permit Center with the details of your request.  The fees vary depending on the type of permit you are requesting, as well as the nature of the work being done, how the parking is configured, etc.  Click here for our current fee schedule.  (Our fees are evaluated annually and may change with each fiscal year.)

INSURANCE: If you are requesting a lane closure, sidewalk closure, or street closure permit, we require an insurance certificate on file naming City of Portland as additionally insured.  Click here for more info.

MORATORIUM: Rose Festival and Holiday Moratorium Information  -  2015 Rose Festival Moratorium Letter


CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT: Click here for a map of the CBD (Central Business District).

The Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) issues permits for temporary use of the public right of way (parking, lane, sidewalk and street closures). Permits are issued as per code requirements in Title 16, 17 and 24 of Portland City Code. 

Examples of permitted use for construction related activities

Temporary use of the public right of way to facilitate work on private property for new building construction, interior or exterior remodel of existing building; or actual work in the right of way such as underground utility installations, soil test bores or underground oil storage tank decommissioning.

Examples of permitted use for non-construction related activities

Temporary use of the public right of way to facilitate activities such as commercial or residential moves, placement of dumpsters for building clean out, event loading in and out to private property or in a public park.

Permit Application Process

Applications may be emailed at any time to or hand delivered to the Permit Center (1900 SW 4th Avenue, M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., except Thursdays 8am-12pm). Do not send applications by postal service. You may fax your application to 503.823.9282, however you must call 503.823.7365 to ensure we recieved your fax. 

Allow five (5) full business days to process the application.  If the application includes long term sidewalk, lane and/or street closures, allow seven (7) days to process the traffic control plan and possibly up to four (4) weeks if the closure has a complicated detour route for either pedestrians and/or vehicles.

Travel lane, bike, sidewalk and street closure permits require approval of a traffic and/or pedestrian control plan (TCP) by the City of Portland Traffic Engineer.  A TCP must accompany the application upon submittal.  We cannot process the application with out a traffic/ped plan.

Travel lane, bike lane, sidewalk and street closure permits require liability insurance to be on file with the City of Portland, listing the City as additional insured. For insurance requirements, click here or contact Street Systems Management (SSM) Insurance Coordinator by phone at 503.823.7142 or by email.

The fees for these permits vary depending on location and duration of permit. Please call the Permit Center (503.823.7365) to verify permit fees.

Metered Parking Areas

Parking permits that are issued for a metered space will be reserved in advance by the City's Parking Enforcement staff, who also enforces violations of the permit.

Non-Metered Parking Areas

For parking permits that are issued for non-metered areas, the permittee is given "No Parking" signs with their permit.  The permittee is required to attach the signs to a structure, such as a sawhorse or barricade, and place the structure adjacent to the parking spaces to be reserved.  The City of Portland does not reserve the parking space(s).  The City does not provide the barricades.  The permitte may rent or purchase barricades from local companies. Please search the Internet for “ flagging companies and/or barricades Portland” or look in the telephone yellow pages under the heading “Flagging or Barricades.”  The City will enforce and tow violators of the permit only if the permittee has followed all procedures as described in Barricade Procedures brochure. The permittee may not have a vehicle towed if all procedures have not been followed.

Once prepared, permits are available at:
The Permit Center Transportation Counter
1900 SW 4th Ave. 1st Floor, Portland, OR 97201
P: 503.823.7365  F: 503.823.9282  E:
Open: Monday – Friday
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. (except Thursdays, 8am-12pm)