The Portland Bureau of Transportation (PBOT) issues permits for temporary use of the public right of way (parking, lane, sidewalk and street closures). Permits are issued as per code requirements in Title 16, 17 and 24 of Portland City Code.
- Fee Schedule July 1, 2013 - June 30, 2014 (fees typically increase annually beginning with new FY July 1)
- Procedure for Projects Permited or Application Submitted Prior to July 1, 2013
- Pay Station Access and Removal Work that affects a pay station may necessitate removal of the pay station; PBOT staff determines if a pay station shall be removed as a result of adjacent construction. However, the permit holder is responsible for informing PBOT staff of work that is in close proximity to a pay station. Cost to remove the pay station is the responsibility of the permit holder. Ask permit center staff about an application or use link below.
- Pay Station Removal Application
- Insurance Requirements
- Traffic Control Plan Submittal Check List
- Standard Traffic Control Plans for CBD
- Barricade Procedures
- Quick Permit for Portable Storage Container
- Rose Festival and Holiday Moratorium Information
- Special Traffic Control District Map (CBD)
- Comnmunity Event or Block Party Street Closure
- CBD Proposed Utility Work Form
Examples of permitted use for construction related activities
Temporary use of the public right of way to facilitate work on private property for new building construction, nterior or exterior remodel of existing building; or actual work in the right of way such as underground utility installations, soil test bores or underground oil storage tank decommissioning.
Examples of permitted use for non-construction related activities
Temporary use of the public right of way to facilitate activities such as commercial or residential moves, placement of dumpsters for building clean out, event loading in and out to private property or in a public park.
Permit Application Process
Applications may be emailed at any time to firstname.lastname@example.org or hand delivered to the Permit Center (1900 SW 4th Avenue, T-F, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.). Do not send applications by postal service. You may fax your application to 503.823.9282, however you must call 503.823.7365 to ensure we recieved your fax.
Allow five (5) full business days to process the application. If the application includes long term sidewalk, lane and/or street closures, allow seven (7) days to process the traffic control plan and possibly up to four (4) weeks if the closure has a complicated detour route for either pedestrians and/or vehicles.
Travel lane, bike, sidewalk and street closure permits require approval of a traffic and/or pedestrian control plan (TCP) by the City of Portland Traffic Engineer. A TCP must accompany the application upon submittal. We cannot process the application with out a traffic/ped plan.
Travel lane, bike lane, sidewalk and street closure permits require liability insurance to be on file with the City of Portland, listing the City as additional insured. For insurance requirements, click here or contact Street Systems Management (SSM) Insurance Coordinator by phone at 503.823.7142 or by email.
The fees for these permits vary depending on location and duration of permit. Please call the Permit Center (503.823.7365) to verify permit fees.
Metered Parking Areas
Parking permits that are issued for a metered space will be reserved in advance by the City's Parking Enforcement staff, who also enforces violations of the permit.
Non-Metered Parking Areas
For parking permits that are issued for non-metered areas, the permittee is given "No Parking" signs with their permit. The permittee is required to attach the signs to a structure, such as a sawhorse or barricade, and place the structure adjacent to the parking spaces to be reserved. The City of Portland does not reserve the parking space(s). The City does not provide the barricades. The permitte may rent or purchase barricades from local companies. Please search the Internet for “ flagging companies and/or barricades Portland” or look in the telephone yellow pages under the heading “Flagging or Barricades.” The City will enforce and tow violators of the permit only if the permittee has followed all procedures as described in Barricade Procedures brochure. The permittee may not have a vehicle towed if all procedures have not been followed.
Once prepared, permits are available at:
The Permit Center Transportation Counter
1900 SW 4th Ave. 1st Floor, Portland, OR 97201
P: 503.823.7365 F: 503.823.9282
Open: Tuesday – Friday
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Open on Mondays for email or phone applications
Temporary Permits for Parking a Portable Storage Container
The City issues permits for the temporary storage of a portable storage container in the public right of way under the following conditions:
- The permit does not authorize the permittee to reserve parking spaces in advance for placement of the storage container at a specific parking space nor does it authorize the permittee to request parking enforcement to tow away vehicles for placement of said container at a specific location.
- The permit is intended for use on residential streets and is not valid in metered zones "NO PARKING" zones, times parking zones, or area parking permit zones. The container shall be placed adjacent to permittee’s address and extend no farther than 8 feet from face of the curb.
- The permit is not valid on streets less than 22 feet wide as measured between curbs (curb to curb width shall be a minimum of 22 feet wide).
- The permit is not valid within 50 feet of a non-signalized intersection.
- The permitee shall maintain a minimum of 12 feet wide emergency vehicle clearance at all times, regardless of actions of others and/or vehicles.
- The permit is valid for a maximum of 14 days and is not renewable. This permit allows for a temporary placement of a container in the right of way and does not permit storage of said container in the right of way.
- The permit is not enforceable by Parking Enforcement.
QuickPermit (for a portable storage container) are available at:
The Parks and Recreation Customer Service Center
1120 SW 5th Ave. 1st Floor, Portland, OR 97201
Open: Monday – Friday
Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.