International Walk + Bike to School Day - October 7, 2015
1000s of Portland Families, Millions of Families around the World -- Join the Movement!
International Walk+ Bike to School Day is a global event that involves communities from more than 40 countries walking, biking and rolling to school on the same day. This event has become part of a movement for year-round safe routes to school and a celebration. Today, thousands of schools across America – including over 100 in Oregon – participate every October.
Join the movement!
1) Register your school at www.walknbike.org
- After you sign up you will be prompted to order small prizes like ribbons, tattoos, and stickers
2) E-mail email@example.com to receive extra prizes including stickers, pencils, and shoelaces
3) Promote, promote, promote
- Hang up posters in your school or pass out flyers to parents (Safe Routes can help design and print, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Have principal or other staff announce event to student body
- Send out information in school newsletter, hot sheet, post on website
- Use social media with hashtags #walkbikeroll #pdx
- Help parents organize Walking School Buses, Bike Trains, or Park+ Walk sites for students who live far away – encourage everyone to participate
4) Day-of activities
- Set up table with incentives
- Have coffee for parents – perhaps local coffee shop will donate
- Count the number of walkers, bikers, and rollers participating
5) After event, enter number of students who participated at www.walknbike.org
Take your participation to the next level - register for the Fall Fire Up Your Feet Challenge!
Walk Bike to School - outreach and event planning tools
Oregon Safe Routes to School - organize walking school bus, bike train
Portland Safe Routes to School - park your car or bus a few blocks away and walk to school