International Walk + Bike to School Day - October 7, 2015
1000s of Portland Families, Millions of Families around the World -- Join the Movement!
International Walk+ Bike to School Day is a global event that involves communities from more than 40 countries walking, biking and rolling to school on the same day. This event has become part of a movement for year-round safe routes to school and a celebration. Today, thousands of schools across America – including over 100 in Oregon – participate every October.
Join the movement!
1) Register your school at www.walknbike.org
- After you register, return to www.walknbike.org and order small prizes like ribbons, tattoos, and stickers. Scroll down the page to the ribbon icon where you can order $40 worth of incentives for free. (There will be a coupon discount when you check out.) If you have trouble please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) E-mail email@example.com to receive extra prizes including stickers, pencils, and shoelaces - just let us know which incentives you want from below
3) Promote, promote, promote
- Hang up posters in your school or pass out flyers to parents (Safe Routes can help design and print, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Have principal or other staff announce event to student body
- Send out information in school newsletter, hot sheet, post on website
- Use social media with hashtags #walkbikeroll #pdx
- Help parents organize Walking School Buses, Bike Trains, or Park+ Walk sites for students who live far away – encourage everyone to participate
4) Day-of activities
- Set up table with incentives
- Have coffee for parents – perhaps local coffee shop will donate
- Count the number of walkers, bikers, and rollers participating
5) After event, enter the number of students who participated at www.walknbike.org
Take your participation to the next level - register for the Fall Fire Up Your Feet Challenge!
Each spring and fall, Fire Up Your Feet offers cash awards to schools in Oregon participating in the Fire Up Your Feet Activity Challenge. With multiple awards in several categories, schools have even more chances to win awards to support physical activity and wellness programs. Save the date for the Fall Challenge: October 1-31, 2015. When you register for Walk+Bike to School Day, you will automatically be registered for the Fire Up Your Feet Challenge.
Walk Bike to School - outreach and event planning tools
Oregon Safe Routes to School - organize walking school bus, bike train
Portland Safe Routes to School - park your car or bus a few blocks away and walk to school