September 2013 Count Data Summary is here!
Please keep this project in mind to volunteer next September!
VOLUNTEER! to Collect Pedestrian and Bicycle Counts
2013 Count Dates:
The National Count days for 2013 are during the week of September 10, 2013. The specific dates and times are:
- Tuesday, Sept. 10, 5 to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 11, 5 to 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 12, 5 to 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 14, 9 to 11 a.m. (select locations only)
- Sunday, Sept. 15, 9 to 11 a.m. (select locations only)
City of Portland Count Locations Map (same as 2012!)
PLEASE NOTE: Not all locations are currently available; please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for updates.
One of the greatest challenges facing the bicycle and pedestrian field is the lack of documentation on usage and demand. Without accurate and consistent demand and usage figures, it is difficult to measure the positive benefits of investments in these modes, especially when compared to the other transportation modes such as the private automobile. An answer to this need for data is the National Bicycle & Pedestrian Documentation Project, co-sponsored by the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) Pedestrian and Bicycle Council and Alta Planning and Design. This nationwide effort provides consistent model of data collection and ongoing data for use by planners, governments, and bicycle and pedestrian professionals.
For more information, go to the national project website: http://bikepeddocumentation.org/
What You Can Do to Help:
- Contact us with your name, email, phone number, mailing address and count location preferences (first come first serve).
- Attend one brief Volunteer Training. Pizza provided. Time and Locations below.
- Conduct at least one 2-hour count a location on the Count Locations Map above. Conducting more than one count is highly encouraged!
- Return completed count forms, using stamped envelopes to be provided.
(Additional location suggestions welcome as long as we can fill them all.)
Local City of Portland Contact to Volunteer:
Times and Location of Training Session:
We are offering TWO TRAINING SESSIONS for 2013:
- Tuesday, September 3rd, 6 - 7 PM.
- Monday, September 9th, 12:00 - 1:00 PM.
Location of the training:
1120 SW 5th Ave
9th Floor, NW Broadway Conference Room.
RSVP to Taylor.Sutton@portlandoregon.gov
Metro is holding an additional training opportunity for those that cannot make the City of Portland trainings:
Thursday, September 5
4-5pm and 5:30-6:30pm
Location for the additional training:
600 NE Grand Ave.
Portland, OR 97232
Conference Room 270
Metro Regional coordination effort webpage:
National Project Website: http://bikepeddocumentation.org/