September 2013 Count Data Summary is here!
Please keep this project in mind to volunteer September 2014!
VOLUNTEER! to Collect Pedestrian and Bicycle Counts
2014 Count Dates:
The National Count days for 2014 are during the week of September 8, 2014. The specific dates and times are:
- Tuesday, Sept. 9, 5 to 7 p.m.
- Wednesday, Sept. 10, 5 to 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 11, 5 to 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 13, 9 to 11 a.m. (select locations only)
- Sunday, Sept. 14, 9 to 11 a.m. (select locations only)
City of Portland Count Locations Map (same as 2012!)
PLEASE NOTE: This is a full list of Portland count sites - some may have already been assigned to a volunteer. If you are interested in counting a specific site, please contact email@example.com, 503-823-4533 for updates.
One of the greatest challenges facing the bicycle and pedestrian field is the lack of documentation on usage and demand. Without accurate and consistent demand and usage figures, it is difficult to measure the positive benefits of investments in these modes, especially when compared to the other transportation modes such as the private automobile. An answer to this need for data is the National Bicycle & Pedestrian Documentation Project, co-sponsored by the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) Pedestrian and Bicycle Council and Alta Planning and Design. This nationwide effort provides consistent model of data collection and ongoing data for use by planners, governments, and bicycle and pedestrian professionals.
For more information, go to the national project website: http://bikepeddocumentation.org/
What You Can Do to Help:
- Contact us with your name, email, phone number, mailing address and count location preferences (first come first serve).
- Attend one brief Volunteer Training. Pizza provided. Time and Locations below.
- Conduct at least one 2-hour count a location on the Count Locations Map above. Conducting more than one count is highly encouraged!
- Return completed count forms, using stamped envelopes to be provided.
(Additional location suggestions welcome as long as we can fill them all.)
Local City of Portland Contact to Volunteer:
Times and Location of Training Session:
Volunteer Training dates at PBOT TBD.
Contact Taylor Sutton for more information: Taylor.Sutton@portlandoregon.gov, 503-823-4533
Metro will also offer a training opportunity at their headquarters in the Lloyd District:
Trail Count Volunteer Training
Thursday, September 4, 2014
600 NE Grand, Room 270
(you will only need to attend one session)
Metro Regional coordination effort webpage:
National Project Website: http://bikepeddocumentation.org/