The Going to the River project is a multi-modal project that will bundle investments in bicycle, pedestrian, transit and transportation demand management (TDM) projects to optimize access to one of the state's largest employment centers: Swan Island in North Portland. The project focuses on improving access to Portland’s premier Neighborhood Greenway, North and Northeast Going Ave from 72nd Ave to Swan Island. The Going to the River project calls for (see attached map):
- Expanding Portland’s bicycle network 2.8 miles by extending the Going St. Neighborhood Greenway from N. Vancouver Ave to N. Interstate Ave, and on N. Michigan from N. Fremont to N. Bryant Ave. These connections provide a vital link from North and Northeast Portland neighborhoods to the thousands of jobs and recreational trails on Swan Island.
- Building a twelve-foot wide shared-use path from N. Interstate Ave to N. Greeley Avenue on the north side of Going St. The new path will provide signage and connections to the new N. Concord Neighborhood Greenway.
- Completing trail work on N. Ballast St., a portion of the Willamette Greenway Trail between N. Channel and Lagoon Avenues, providing a multi-modal connection to Daimler North America.
- Building a sidewalk extension of Willamette Greenway Trail at N. Channel Ave. to Shipyard Commerce Center.
- Completing sidewalk gap on N. Basin Ave. and Willamette Greenway Trail from N. Lagoon and N. Ballast to the Waud Bluff Trail at the north end of Basin Ave.
- Aggressive and expanded TDM programming to residents and businesses in North and Northeast Portland (including Swan Island employers) promoting and encouraging use of the new facilities.
Construction of the N Michigan Greenway, the N Going Extension, and the Swan Island trail and sidewalks are scheduled to begin in spring 2012; the first wave of TDM outreach, SmartTrips North-Northeast took place in summer 2011, the second wave will be more focused on the specific project areas with outreach on Swan Island and in the vicinity of N Michigan and N-NE Going.
Proposed TDM Project Elements
Watch the mail for the Going Street Neighborhood Greenway brochure and take a look at the great events taking place all summer long on Going Street!