UPDATED: January 17, 2012 at 2:30 P.M.:
All Portland Bureau of Transportation street closures have been re-opened.
Most recent re-openings:
- The intersection of Northwest Thompson Road and Northwest Cornell Road is re-opened after an earlier closure due to snow and slick slush.
-Northwest Germantown Road between Northwest Bridge Avenue and Northwest Skyline Boulevard is re-opened after an earlier closure due to snow and slick slush.
UPDATED: January 17, 2012 at 1:55 P.M.:
The intersection of Northwest Thompson Road and Northwest Skyline Boulevard has been re-opened and PGE crews have completed with their work to remove the downed power line that caused the street closure.
UPDATED: January 17, 2012 at 12:20 P.M.:
Traffic crews have opened West Burnside Street, which had been closed from Northwest Hermosa Boulevard to Northwest Skyline Boulevard this morning due to a multi-vehicle crash. Crews plowed and sanded the road to make it currently passable. All vehicles that had been blocking the travel lanes have been removed, all lanes and the tunnel are clear, and the chain-up areas are still in place. The public is advised to travel with caution and use chains on steep hills with snow, ice or slush on them.
January 17, 2012
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Portland Bureau of Transportation
Snow and slush creating slick, hazardous conditions on some streets
(Portland, Ore.) — The storm front that moved into the Portland Metro region this morning is creating some slick, hazardous travel conditions, particularly in higher elevations above 500 feet on both the west and the east sides of the city. The traveling public is advised to be alert for snow, slush and ice on streets and sidewalks throughout today and Wednesday.
Current street closures include the following:
- Northwest Germantown Road is closed from Northwest Bridge Avenue to Northwest Skyline Boulevard due to snow and slick slush. http://g.co/maps/8q6c6
- The intersection of Northwest Thompson Road and Northwest Skyline Boulevard is closed due to a downed power line. http://g.co/maps/6azvz
- The intersection of Northwest Thompson Road and Northwest Cornell Road is closed due to snow and slick slush. http://g.co/maps/yy8qt
- West Burnside Street is closed from Northwest Hermosa Boulevard to Northwest Skyline Boulevard due to a multi-vehicle crash. http://g.co/maps/wzzrf
City crews have set up two chain-up areas – one on West Burnside Street at Northwest 23rd Avenue and the other on Southwest Sam Jackson Park Road at Southwest Terwilliger Boulevard at the bottom of the hill.
The public is advised to avoid driving on icy, snowy, or slushy streets; take transit if at all possible; or delay their trip until conditions improve. If motorists choose to drive, they are advised to carry chains and use them on icy, snowy or slushy streets, especially in higher elevations.
Transportation crews are continuing to plow major streets in higher elevations, patrol and monitor conditions citywide, and treat roads as needed as events unfold throughout the day.
The City recommends Portlanders monitor conditions where they are traveling, watch the forecast, and use www.PublicAlerts.org as their source for winter storm updates. The site provides links to street closures, highway road conditions, transit schedules and service alerts, and other emergency information.