As we noted earlier, 2012 has turned out to be a historic year for car sharing in Portland.
By the end of spring, Portland should have up to five car sharing companies operating within city boundaries:
- Getaround, a peer to peer car sharing company, launched its service in Portland this winter.
- Car2Go, pay-by-the-minute one-way car share arm of Daimler, will begin service in Portland this spring.
- Google-backed Relay Rides - a peer to peer car share service active in Boston area, recently announced backing from General Motors and the intent to the enter the Portland market.
- Zipcar, the most established car share company of the bunch, recently bought a stake in peer to peer car sharing company Wheelz, whose financial backers have Ford DNA. Wheelz's niche to date seems to be college campuses. Zipcar has quite a presence at PSU and other campuses, so it's unclear how this could affect Portlanders choices.
- UHaul's car share company, uhaulcarshare has three cars at the Lewis and Clark campus.