Changes are coming in Spring 2012 that will make parking faster and easier at SmartPark garages. New paystations for daily parkers are being installed along with automated gates at exit lanes. The garage modernization effort is aimed at easing peak time traffic congestion and improving customers’ parking experience at SmartPark.
Note that cashiers will no longer be available at garage exit lanes. Please know, however, that help will always be available. All paystations and exit lanes will have push-button intercoms should you need any assistance. In addition, each garage will have a customer service representative on duty. During the transition, additional customer server representatives will be on duty.
All of the current cashiering equipment in the SmartPark garages (except forO'Bryant Square) will be replaced with automated pay-on-foot paystations.
New automated cashiering equipment will be installed in the other five SmartPark garages and will be operational by June 30, 2012. The following go-live schedule is tentative and may change:
- Southwest 1st and Jefferson Garage – April 16, 2012
- Northwest Naito and Davis Garage – May 8, 2012
- Southwest 10th and Yamhill Garage – May 22,2012
- Southwest 4th and Yamhill Garage – June 5, 2012
- Southwest 3rd and Alder Garage – June 26, 2012.
The project was approved by City Council in January 2011 as part of a larger contract with Central Parking System for Parking Garage Management Services.
The automation changes will not have any direct impact on how monthly customers enter or exit the SmartPark garages. The monthly key card access will remain the same. Monthly permit parkers may contact Central Parking with questions about their parking account at (503) 790-9302 or via email at email@example.com.
The SmartPark garage automation project will bring the following new equipment and functions to five of the six City-owned public parking garages:
- New Amano McGann Pay-On-Foot Central Paystations (accepting cash, credit/debit cards, validation vouchers, and coupons) and Credit Card Only Central Paystations (accepting credit/debit cards, validation vouchers, and coupons) will be installed on the ground level near all elevators.
- New exit lane credit card only paystations will be installed at each garage exit lane.
- Intercom and camera systems will be installed at each paystation, which will allow customer service to be requested by pressing the intercom button on each paystation. When the button is pressed, a live person will be available for assistance.
- The access card readers for monthly parking customers will remain, but the location of the reader at the exit lane may change.
- Signage will be installed to assist customers with the new process.
The garage automation project is funded by parking garage revenue.
The City of Portland understands that as a result of this project, approximately 30 positions will be eliminated from a work force of 61. Some of the current cashiers will be become Customer Service Representatives. Central Parking has made a commitment to work with the cashiers who will be laid off in order to help them find new prospects for work.
The City of Portland and Central Parking are working closely with the Downtown Retail Council, individual downtown merchants, monthly parking customers, and short-term parking customers to provide timely notification of the project as it’s being planned and implemented.
Please contact Central Parking at (503) 790-9302 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.