A fun and challenging volunteer position in Portland’s premier community event
City of Portland Sunday Parkways presented by Kaiser Permanente seeks energetic and qualified volunteers to assist the Sunday Parkways (SP) staff in coordinating five SP events and supporting the volunteers who serve as Intersection Superheroes and Mobile Superheroes.
At a SP event, each intersection along the route must be monitored to help with participant traffic flow, answer participants’ questions, redirect neighborhood traffic, and set up or take down intersection barricades. The Superhero Coordinators will supervise a defined section of the route, assisting Superheroes in their jobs, assessing and addressing problems, and communicating with the Course Manager to ensure a smooth event.
- Provide confident leadership to a teams of 20-40 SP volunteers during an event
- Help check in all volunteers and assist in the orientation of Superheroes
- Ensure that all road closure barricades are erected on time
- Supervise and maintain a section of the course
- Assist volunteers with questions, difficult situations, bathroom breaks, etc.
- Address higher-level issues with neighbors or participants that may arise
- Re-distribute volunteers to cover the shifting needs of the route and event
- Carry and distribute water, snacks and encouragement to volunteers
- Communicate regularly and clearly with your Volunteer Coordinator throughout the event
- Carefully study maps and special instructions provided by your Volunteer Coordinator prior to the event
- Promptly write and send an event report to the Program Manager following the event
- Volunteered for Portland Sunday Parkways at three or more events, preferably as an Intersection or Mobile Superhero
- Have experience leading groups of volunteers
- Have the ability to communicate assertively, positively and empathetically with angry individuals
- Have the ability to make confident decisions in pressured situations
- Possess a friendly, patient and energetic personality
- Own a safe, well-functioning bicycle and maintain it over the course of the season
- Have the ability to ride a bicycle up to 20 miles at variable elevation with a trailer containing 50+ pounds of supplies
- Can repeatedly lift 50 pounds
- Own a cell phone capable of sending and receiving text messages
Staff Supervisor: Volunteer Program and Course Manager
Length of Commitment: 3 or more Sunday Parkways events in 2015, starting at 8:30am and ending at 4:30pm.
Required Training: A single training session prior to the season and then a route overview before each event
To Apply, Contact:
Volunteer Program Manager