A fun and challenging volunteer position in Portland’s premier community event
Portland Sunday Parkways seeks energetic and qualified volunteers to assist the Sunday Parkways (SP) staff in coordinating five SP events and supporting the volunteers who serve as Intersection Superheroes and Mobile Superheroes.
At a SP event, each intersection along the route must be monitored to help with participant traffic flow, answer participants’ questions, redirect neighborhood traffic, and set up or take down intersection barricades. The Superhero Coordinators will supervise a defined section of the route, assisting Superheroes in their jobs, assessing and addressing problems, and communicating with the Course Manager to ensure a smooth event.
- Provide confident leadership to a teams of 20-40 SP volunteers during an event
- Help check in all volunteers and assist in the orientation of Superheroes
- Ensure that all barricades are erected on time
- Provide supervision of a section of the course, which includes
- Assisting Superheroes with questions, difficult situations, bathroom breaks, etc.
- Addressing higher-level issues with neighbors or participants that may arise
- Re-distributing volunteers to best cover the needs of the route and event
- Giving out water, snacks and encouragement to volunteers
- Communicating with the Course Manager throughout the event
Skills and Qualifications
- Volunteered for Portland Sunday Parkways at three or more events, preferably as an Intersection Superhero
- Experience leading groups of volunteers
- Ability to communicate assertively and positively with angry individuals
- Ability to make confident decisions in pressured situations
- Friendly, patient and energetic personality
- Own a safe, well-functioning bicycle; owning a trailer is a plus
- Ability to ride a bicycle up to 20 miles with a trailer containing 50+ pounds of supplies
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Own a cell phone
Volunteer Program and Course Manager
Length of Commitment: 3 or more Sunday Parkways events in 2013, starting at 8:30am and ending at 4:30pm.
Training: A single training session prior to the season and then a route overview before each event
- May 12th – East
- June 23rd – Northeast
- July 28th – North
- August 25th – Southeast
- September 29th –Southwest
How To Apply
Please email the Volunteer Program Manager for a volunteer application form: