As students head back to school, it’s particularly important to obey traffic laws and drive safely in school zones. Drivers should also be aware that Portland Police Bureau officers will be at every school during the first few weeks of the school year to enforce school speed zones and other traffic laws.
If you drive to school, through a school zone or in neighborhoods near a school, follow these safety tips to keep all students safe this year:
- Obey the 20 mph speed limit in all school zones.
- Be patient during drop-off and pick-up if you drive your student to school or drive near a school. The roadways surrounding schools are congested during these times.
- Do not idle your vehicle in school zones.
- Yield to pedestrians at all intersections, whether marked with a crosswalk or not, it’s the law.
- Look both ways for pedestrians and bicyclists when turning right on a red light.
- Be aware of students where there are no sidewalks along the road and when backing out of driveways.
- Watch for younger and less predictable children who may dart into the road.
- Stop and wait for school buses when red lights are flashing.
Thanks for doing your part to provide safe student travel near all Portland schools.