What is the Pedestrian Advisory Committee?
The PAC advises the City of Portland – particularly the Bureau of Transportation – on matters that encourage and enhance walking as a means of transportation, recreation, wellness and environmental enhancement. The PAC is a 9- to 15-person committee that represents a cross-section of Portlanders, including walking and mobility advocates, neighborhood activists, environmental design professionals and citizens-at-large.
The PAC meets the third Tuesday evening each month. Members are appointed to a 4-year term. PAC member activities include, but are not limited to, reviewing and making recommendations on:
- planning documents affecting pedestrians
- pedestrian projects
- projects with pedestrian facilities
- funding priorities for pedestrian-related projects
- activities of other jurisdictions that affect pedestrians in Portland
- maintaining and periodically updating the Portland Pedestrian Design Guide and Pedestrian Master Plan
Qualified individuals must:
- be a resident of or own a business in the City of Portland
- have an interest in promoting the use of walking for transportation and recreation
- commit to attend monthly meetings and participate in the work of the committee
About the Pedestrian Advisory Committee
The Pedestrian Advisory Committee (PAC) provides a forum for citizens to become involved in establishing goals and policies for pedestrians in the city and for the Bureau of Transportation's services. The group represents a cross-section of Portland citizens including walking and mobility advocates, neighborhood activities, environmental design professionals, and citizens-at-large. In addition, the Pedestrian Coordinator assists with the PAC's efforts to advocate for pedestrian issues both in house and in the community.
The Portland Pedestrian Advisory Committee works to make Portland a better city for pedestrians. We advise City Council and City staff on transportation issues that affect pedestrians and the pedestrian environment. If these issues are of concern to you, consider applying to be a member of the City of Portland Pedestrian Advisory Committee.
The Portland Pedestrian Advisory Committee is a standing citizen advisory committee active since the early 1990s. The purpose of the Portland Pedestrian Advisory Committee is to advise the Mayor and City Council and City departments on all matters that encourage and enhance walking as a means of transportation, recreation, wellness, and environmental enhancement.