Authorized commercial vehicles have specific truck loading zone regulations to follow when making deliveries and picking up merchandise in Portland. Following these regulations ensures that the truck loading zones are open and available for use.
Below is a description of regulations and violations for which a vehicle could be cited. Vehicles parking in violation of truck loading zone regulations are subject to citation and/or tow.
Note: In the list below, not all circumstances are described for every specific violation. Anyone parking in Portland needs to comply with the following rules and any other special parking regulations.
Truck Loading Zones
Truck loading zones are only for "authorized" commercial vehicles actively loading and unloading. Authorized commercial vehicles include:
- Rated GVW 8000 lbs. and over - have GVW rating permanently displayed on side
- With GVW under 8000 lbs. - have DMV registration as Truck, Van, or Pickup
- With a Commercial or Delivery permit - have required signs
- With Farm Vehicle registratio plates.
The business name must be displayed on both sides of the vehicle in 2" or larger lettering in a color that contrasts to the background and is clearly visible from 20 feet. Magnetic, vinyl, and static signs are legal.
Maximum parking time is 30 minutes actively loading and unloading. Taxis are allowed 15 minutes maximum. This time limit is for ALL truck loading zones even if the time limit is not posted on the sign.
You may not return sooner than 1 hour to the same block face.
Meters Double as Truck Loading Zone Until 10:30 AM
All meters may be used as truck loading zones until 10:30 a.m. for actively loading and unloading. There is a 30-minute maximum time limit.
Angle Loading Permit
An angle loading permit is required when parking at an angle to traffic flow and extending into the street and/or sidewalk.
Storage on the public right-of-way is prohibited for any type of vehicle. Includes Trucks (with GVW 8000 lbs. and over) and Truck Tractors or Trailers. Off-street parking is required.
Storage prohibited restriction for Commerical and Industrial areas:
- Day Shift Operation: 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. - maximum of 4 hours
- Night Shift Operation: 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. - maximum of 2 hours (allowed if adjacent business is normally operating a regular work shift during these hours; must be actually loading or unloading)