Questions? Contact Urban Forestry at email@example.com or 503-823-TREE (8733)
When is a Tree Removal & Replanting Permit required?
This page describes the process for removing and replanting trees when no development is occurring. For tree removal and replanting during development, click here.
- Street trees: A permit is required to remove any street tree, except for sucker shoots or self-sown trees that are less than 1/4 inch in diameter.
- If the property is in a regulated overlay zone or plan district, there may be additional requirements or restrictions on street tree removal in order to help protect the environmentally sensitive or historic area. Staff will let the applicant know when additional regulations apply to the property and will describe the permit requirements. To learn about these requirements on your own, view table 40-1 of Title 11 Trees.
- Private trees: Click here to determine if a permit is required to remove trees on private property.
Administrative Rule for Tree Mitigation
The Administrative Rule for tree mitigation became permanent on October 12, 2015. Read the Administrative Rule here. Read the Interim Administrative Rule Half-Year Data Report here.
How to apply for a Tree Removal & Replanting Permit
Only an owner of the property, or the owner's designee, may apply for a Tree Removal and Replanting Permit.
There is a $35 non-refundable processing fee for submitting a Tree Removal and Replanting Permit Application. Checks should be addressed to City of Portland. Cash, credit and debit cards are also accepted if the application is submitted in person at the Development Services Center.
Download the Tree Removal and Replanting Permit Application, fill it out, and submit it with the full fee amount to Urban Forestry in one of the following ways:
- Mail: Attn: Urban Forestry, 1900 SW 4th Ave. Suite 5000, Portland, OR 97201
- In person: Development Services Center (DSC), 1900 SW 4th Avenue, Portland, OR 97201, first floor Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday from 8 AM - 12 PM and 12:30 PM - 3 PM, Thursdays from 8 AM - 12 PM
Keep a copy of your application for your records.
Tree removal and replanting permit application