GENERAL INFORMATION: 503-823-7404
1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 600, Portland, OR 97204
Careful and responsible management, stewardship, and protection of the Bull Run drinking water supply are vital to maintaining water quality and public health. Protection of the streams, rivers, and forest within the watershed began in 1893 with a presidential declaration. Today, federal legislation, state law, and city code guide and strengthen protections that preserve this resource for future generations.
The Bull Run Watershed Management Unit Agreement guides cooperative management and protection of the watershed. The agreement serves as a partnership guide for the long-term stewardship of the Bull Run watershed. It describes the distinct and joint stewardship roles of the City of Portland and the USDA Forest Service as well as how the agencies will coordinate on future activities. The agreement articles nine specific areas to frame the joint stewardship effort:
The agreement establishes semi-annual public working group meetings. At these meetings, City and Forest Service staff reviews work plans, budgets, and staff assignments. They also communicate about accomplishments and issues that arise during the course of management activities. The meetings are held in the spring and fall of each year. An annual report is presented at the spring meeting. The final Annual Report from the spring 2014 meeting can be downloaded and viewed here.
The public is invited to attend the Portland Water Bureau/ Mt. Hood National Forest Bull Run Working Group meeting on Wednesday, April 23, 2014, from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM in the in the Bull Run conference room on the 5th floor of the Portland Building at 1120 SW 5th Avenue in Portland. An agenda can be viewed and downloaded here.
This joint document between the USDA Forest Service and Portland Water Bureau guides the day-to-day management of the watershed.
City of Portland code amendments establish further watershed protections.
Federal legislation has protected the Bull Run since it was designated a Forest Reserve in 1894.