The SE Flavel Street Water Main Improvements Project is part of the City's program to upgrade the water system. The project will replace aging infrastructure, add needed water services, increase fire flow capacity, and continue to ensure adequate and reliable water delivery to the Pleasant Valley neighborhood and surrounding community.
Approximately 900-feet of 4-inch cast iron water main located under SE Flavel Street from SE Henderson Drive to SE 122nd Avenue will be replaced with approximately 400-feet of 12-inch ductile iron main and 500-feet of 8-inch ductile iron main. Additional water services will be installed and several new hydrants will be connected.
The project is scheduled from October 5 to November 30, 2015, weather permitting.
Sequence of Work
The water main improvement project will be conducted in two phases.
PHASE 1 – October 2015
- Existing utilities located under the street such as natural gas and telecommunication lines will be marked on the street pavement with spray paint.
- Beginning at SE Flavel Street and SE Henderson Drive and moving down SE Flavel Street to SE 122nd Avenue, the contractor will saw cut and remove the existing pavement, excavate soil, dig a trench, and install the new water mains.
- Two new hydrants and 11 water lines will be installed.
PHASE 2 – November 2015
- Excavated ground will be filled and compacted with backfill materials. The water mains will be chlorinated, flushed, and sampled.
- Final pavement restoration and pavement striping will complete the project.
Safety is our top priority for every construction site. You can help keep safe by paying attention to construction signage, following guidance from construction crew safety members, and keeping children, pets and vehicles away from construction areas.
- Expected Impacts: Construction activities will create noise, some minor vibrations, dust, and traffic impacts.
- Work Hours: Typical construction hours will be 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. Work will not be conducted on weekends or holidays.
- Rolling Work Zone Construction Activities: Construction activities will occur near an individual property or a section of street, and then move on to the next section. In the event that an open excavation blocks access to residential driveways, the contractor will place a steel plate over the excavation to provide temporary access. There may be a short delay.
- Staging: A storage container with construction equipment will be staged until project completion in the public right-a-way at SE Flavel Street and SE 119th Drive. Additional equipment and piping will be staged to the side of SE Flavel Street and will not block driveways.
- Traffic: Motorists and bicyclists traveling east and west bound on SE Flavel Street from SE Henderson Drive to SE 122nd Avenue will experience traffic impacts, including lane detours, reductions, shifts, and traffic delays. The contractor will set up traffic control signs and flaggers will direct traffic.
- Deliveries/Pick-Ups: The contractor will allow access to emergency vehicles, delivery vehicles, school buses, and waste/recycling haulers.
- Water Service: Water main tie-ins during construction may interrupt water service. Notification of any outage and its anticipated duration will be delivered at least 24-hours in advance.
- Sidewalk Access: The sidewalk on the south side of SE Flavel Street will experience temporary closures during hydrant installations. Sidewalk users will be detoured around the work site.
Keeping Members of the Public Informed
Project information, schedule, and updates will be posted here on the project webpage. Members of the public interested in receiving project updates by e-mail, mail, or phone are encouraged to call 503-823-3028 or e-mail Lindsay.Wochnick@portlandoregon.gov and provide your contact information.
Questions & Concerns
A Water Bureau construction inspector will be on-site during work hours and can assist you with construction concerns. For more information, contact Lindsay Wochnick, Water Bureau Public Information, at 503-823-3028 or by e-mail.