GENERAL INFORMATION: 503-823-7404
1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 600, Portland, OR 97204
The original Fulton Pump Station was built in 1912 as a one room pump house. It is located on SW Nevada Street, between SW Macadam Avenue and SW Virginia Avenue.
The 101-year old pump station is at maximum capacity of 12-million gallons per day (MGD). Future needs require a pump station with a maximum capacity of 18 MGD.
The replacement pump station will be located in Willamette Park, just east of SW Macadam Avenue. This site was identified due to the geographical location and elevation, proximity to existing water lines, and ability to accommodate a pump station.
A Project Advisory Committee, comprised of local neighborhood associations, businesses and park users, worked with architects and City staff to discuss the exterior of the facility and choose design elements.
The replacement Fulton Pump Station will ensure the Portland Water Bureau’s ability to satisfy future service requirements and fire flows.
|Stay in the know!|
On March 19, 2011, the Portland Water Bureau unveiled the proposed design of its new drinking water pump station to be built in Willamette Park during a public open house. The community was invited to view the facility's architectural design and landscaping plans. The exterior concept is to let the building quietly express the context of the park while blending in to the natural landscape.
A nine-member citizen Project Advisory Committee (PAC) met over a three month period with project architects and staff from Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) and the Portland Water Bureau to choose and refine design elements for the exterior of the facility. The PAC also advised on a landscaping plan that will complement the park. In addition to the huge pumps needed to convey water up to many southwest neighborhoods, the building will house a new larger public restroom and park equipment storage area.
In 2009, staff from PP&R and the Portland Water Bureau sought the opinions of area neighborhood associations, businesses, park users and the public about siting options for rebuilding the city's century old Fulton Pump Station, located in a residential area on SW Nevada Street, between Macadam Avenue and Virginia Avenue. Participants supported siting the new facility in nearby Willamette Park.
In January 2011, a Project Advisory Committee (PAC) was established to ensure the building will complement the park. PAC members met with project architects and City staff to discuss the exterior of the facility and choose design elements. The building will also house a new larger public restroom and park equipment storage area.
Following the completion of a five month long public involvement process in February 2009, Portland Water Bureau and PP&R staff drafted a Recommendation Report that called for building the replacement pump station in Willamette Park as the best option for the public.
The Portland Water Bureau then began to conduct survey work inside the park in order to provide the required legal description of the exact site for an agreement between PP&R and the Water Bureau. Portland Water Bureau staff worked with PP&R to review survey results, examined any potential barriers to the proposed siting locations (such as trees, recreational use, etc.) and ascertained the preferred locations for siting the station and staging equipment and materials during the construction phase.
For information about this project, contact Tim Hall, Public Information, at 503-823-6926 or 503-381-0056 (cell). Thank you for your patience and cooperation as the Portland Water Bureau works to improve the city’s century old water system.