The Water Bureau constructed two new LEED-certified buildings as part of the Interstate Renovation project.
The Water Bureau Meter Shop is LEED Gold certified.
The LEED plaque on the Meter Shop.
The water meter test bench inside the LEED certified Meter Shop.
Since 2001 the City of Portland’s Green Building Policy has required all new occupied city buildings to be built to green building standards established by the U.S. Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program.
Meter Shop LEED
The Water Bureau’s Meter Shop was certified as LEED Gold (New Construction) in 2010. The green features of the building include the following:
- A 12.24 kW solar array which provides ten percent of the building’s power annually
- An energy recovery ventilation system, which recovers approximately 75 percent of the heat from exhausted heating air
- Energy-efficient lighting such as light-emitting diodes (LEDs)
- A solar hot water system that provides 100 percent of water-heating needs approximately six months of the year
- An Energy Star-rated roof, to reduce the heat-island effect (where built urban areas are hotter than nearby rural areas)
- Window placement to increase natural lighting and ventilation and reduce energy use
- Building materials made with low percentages of volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- A vegetated planter to filter and decrease stormwater run-off
Interstate Renovation Project LEED
The Water Bureau completed construction of two new seismically-resilient buildings at the Interstate facility in 2014 & 2015 – a Maintenance Building and a Shops and Stores Warehouse. Both buildings were designed for LEED Gold (New Construction) certification. LEED components of these buildings include:
- A vegetated eco-roof on the Maintenance Building
- A 78 kW solar array on the Shops and Stores Warehouse
- Employee access to public transportation options
- Stormwater runoff control/bioswales
- Water-efficient landscaping
- Construction waste recycling
- Digitally-controlled heating, ventilation, and cooling system
- Energy-efficient lighting