- Never store pesticides, fertilizers, and other chemicals adjacent to your well to avoid direct well contamination.
- Properly abandon old wells and never use them as disposal pits. For information on abandoning wells or to order well records (logs), contact Oregon Water Resources Department at 1-800-624-3199.
- Ensure your well construction and surface seal is adequate to minimize the chance of chemicals wicking through the soil down the outside of the casing or entering the well directly. Call your local Watermaster (Oregon Water Resources Department) for a free inspection.
- Regularly test your well water for nitrates, bacteria, and other contaminants, as necessary.
- Properly maintain your septic system by having the septic tank pumped out every 2 - 3 years.
- Do not put improper materials down the household drains like garbage disposal food wastes, drain cleaners, household chemicals, and other toxic-cleaning agent.
- Organize a local workshop with your neighbors to learn more about your wells and septic system. Call OSU's Extension Service for assistance.
GENERAL INFORMATION: 503-823-7404
1120 SW Fifth Ave, Suite 600, Portland, OR 97204