Water quality issues may occur temporarily following repair or maintenance to the city’s water mains. In some cases, this work may result in dirty water. This policy provides goodwill adjustments to ratepayers as compensation for minor expenses that may occur as a result of dirty water in their homes or businesses.
For additional information, view the City of Portland Water Quality Credits Policy (ARC-ADM-1405) Administrative Rule.
Adjustments may be made according to the following guidelines:
- The goodwill adjustment will only be offered when the account holder states they have incurred an added expense above and beyond the normal inconvenience.
- Customer Service representatives are authorized to provide goodwill adjustments up to $25.00 on the account holder’s water bill.
- Adjustments will be based on the amount of damage the customer claims to have incurred. We will rely on Customer Service representatives to use their best judgment when determining the amount of the adjustment.
- Requests for adjustments over $25.00 may be authorized by a lead agent or supervisor, or referred to the City’s Risk Management Division.
- Adjustments will be made to the next bill and noted on the customer’s account.
- If someone other than the water user pays the water bill, the individual using the water will be responsible for working out arrangements with those who do pay the bill.
- City of Portland Water Quality Credits Policy (ARC-ADM-1405) Administrative Rule