The Portland Water Bureau, in cooperation with the Forest Service, offers a limited number of tours in the Bull Run Watershed. All tours are planned and guided by a professional Water Resources Educator. Tour participants will learn about Portland's primary drinking water supply.
Register For a Public Tour
Tour dates are set in the spring. To be added to the notification list contact Kate Leatherbarrow, at 503-823-5351 for more information.
- Advance registration required.
- Tours are typically offered between July and October, from 8:30 am until 4:30 pm, and are most often scheduled on a Friday or Saturday.
- A fee of $10 will be charged to each participant. The fee contributes to the transportation costs for the tour.
- Participants must bring their own lunch.
- ADA compliant restrooms are available, and ADA compliant transportation can be made available upon request.
- In the interest of water system security, all tour participants will be asked to provide identification information.
Schedule a Tour for Your Community Group
A limited number of tours for community groups of 15 to 26 participants may be arranged upon request. Contact Briggy Thomas, Education Program Manager, at 503-823-7407 to discuss tour opportunities.
- Tours are typically offered between late June and early October upon request.
- The tour guidelines above will apply.
- Do not register online.
Schedule a Tour for Your School Group
Tours are offered for school groups, grades 3-12, in May, June, September, and October.
Contact Briggy Thomas, Education Program Manager, at 503-823-7407 to discuss tour opportunities.
- Tour can accommodate one class per day, and all visitors must travel in one vehicle.
- Tours require at least 5-6 hours from time of departure to return.
- A maximum of three classes from any one school will be approved for tours during each full school year.
- School tours are free, but participants must cover transportation arrangements and costs.
- In the interest of water system security, all student and teacher names will be collected. Adult chaperones will be asked to provide identification information.
- Allow a minimum of four weeks notice when requesting tours. Be aware that allowing four weeks notice does not guarantee availability of tours.