Installing new water service
Work zone looking east on SE Flavel St.
Work zone looking west on SE Flavel St.
DEVELOPMENTS OF NOTE
- The contractor has installed approximately 900-feet of new ductile iron water mains on SE Flavel Street.
- Crews have begun installing new waters services to individual house meters.
- Next week, the new mains and services will be pressure tested and disinfected.
- In early November, Water Bureau crews will be onsite to transfer the services to the new main.
- Paving the roadway and final restoration is anticipated for mid-November, weather permitting.
WHAT WE’VE HEARD FROM YOU
- Neighbors have expressed concern over the safety of neighborhood children boarding and exiting school buses in and around the work zone. The David Douglas School District has been notified of the project along with the district’s Transportation Department. Bus drivers on the SE Flavel Street route have been encouraged to be extra cautious when dropping off and picking up neighborhood children adjacent to work zone. The contractor and flaggers are aware of the school bus drop off/pick up times and locations for elementary, middle and high school students living in the neighborhood. Flaggers will make sure to stop traffic on SE Flavel Street to safely move children across the roadway when needed.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- Construction activities will create noise, some minor vibrations, dust, and traffic impacts.
- Typical construction hours will be 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. Work will not be conducted on weekends or holidays.
- Construction activities will occur near an individual property or a section of street, and then move on to the next section. In the event that an open excavation blocks access to residential driveways, the contractor will place a steel plate over the excavation to provide temporary access. There may be a short delay.
- A storage container with construction equipment will be staged until project completion in the public right-a-way at SE Flavel Street and SE 119th Drive. Additional equipment and piping will be staged to the side of SE Flavel Street and will not block driveways.
- The contractor will allow access to emergency vehicles, delivery vehicles, school buses, and waste/recycling haulers.
- Water main tie-ins during construction may interrupt water service. Notification of any outage and its anticipated duration will be delivered at least 24-hours in advance.
- The sidewalk on the south side of SE Flavel Street will experience temporary closures during hydrant installations. Sidewalk users will be detoured around the work site.
- A Water Bureau construction inspector will be on-site during work hours, and may be able to assist you with an immediate construction need. Inspectors typically wear a City of Portland safety vest and a hard hat.
- Motorists and bicyclists traveling east and west bound on SE Flavel Street from SE Henderson Drive to SE 122nd Avenue will experience traffic impacts, including lane detours, reductions, shifts, and traffic delays. The contractor will set up traffic control signs and flaggers will direct traffic.
- As alternative routes of travel, utilize SE Foster Road and SE Mt. Scott Boulevard to SE Ridgecrest Road.