The Non-Emergency number - 503-823-3333 - is appropriate for situations that are NOT an immediate threat to life or property. The Non-Emergency number is automated to direct your call to the appropriate resource depending on the selection you make. Our calltakers refer a lot of callers to other agencies, such as Animal Control, Parking Patrol, Abandoned Auto's, Information & Referral, Portland General Electric (PGE), etc.
Below are some examples of calls which are appropriate for Non-Emergency:
- You wake up to find your vehicle missing.
- You have additional information to add to a previously reported incident.
- You were assaulted 2 hours earlier and the suspect is not there now.
- Your identification was stolen.
- Your "ex" is calling you on the telephone and harassing you.
- The neighbors are playing their music too loud.
If you dial 9-1-1 and are referred to the Non-Emergency number, do NOT continue to dial 9-1-1. Dial the Non-Emergency number for assistance. Our Calltakers answer both 9-1-1 and Non-Emergency calls, but we must prioritize the call load. Even if you call the Non-Emergency number, you may be tying up a Calltaker from answering a 9-1-1 call in a timely manner. Please visit our Non-Emergency Resource Guide page to help you locate the correct number to report your situation. In many cases, the Non-Emergency number is not the appropriate number. Utilizing this resource may save you time and frustration and allows the Calltaker to remain available for an emergency 9-1-1 call, as well.