Police, PBOT to hold crosswalk enforcement action at same time to highlight back-to-school safety awareness
(August 29, 2014) - As efforts continue to increase funding for longstanding transportation safety and maintenance needs throughout Portland, officials are holding a news conference showcasing new pedestrian flashing beacons in East Portland. The safety beacons were made possible by state funding secured last spring and are being activated, as promised, by the start of the school year. An additional 12 will be installed over the next few months.
As officials dedicate the new rapid flash beacons, Portland Police and the Portland Bureau of Transportation will also hold a crosswalk enforcement action to highlight pedestrian safety as children get ready to return to school.
WHERE: SE Stark Street and 113th Avenue, near Ventura Park Elementary School
WHEN: 1:30 p.m. news conference with 1:15 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. crosswalk enforcement action by Portland Police and PBOT
- U.S. Rep. Earl Blumenauer
- Portland City Commissioner Steve Novick
- State Rep. Jessica Vega Pederson
- Portland Bureau of Transportation Director Leah Treat
- Oregon Department of Transportation Interim Region 1 Manager Rian Windsheimer
- Ventura Park Elementary School Principal Jakob Curtis
- Safe Routes to School volunteer Kathleen McDade