(Jan. 3, 2016) The Portland Bureau of Transportation warns the traveling public to be prepared for winter weather that is creating hazardous traveling conditions.
Snow accumulations since Sunday morning are expected to remain on streets throughout the day and into the evening. People who are not experienced at driving in snow or icy conditions should avoid driving.
People driving are urged to use caution, slow down and do not abandon your vehicle in a travel lane. Vehicles blocking travel lanes can delay emergency responders and cause traffic congestion.
* If you choose to drive, stay with your vehicle in a snow and ice storm. Any abandoned vehicle creating a safety hazard is subject to being cited and towed. To locate your vehicle, call Police Auto Records at 503-823-0044.
* If you are driving and visibility and conditions are getting worse rapidly, do not stop in a travel lane. Look for an opportunity to pull off the road into a safe parking area and wait for conditions to improve. If you cannot reach your home, move your vehicle off a major street or plow route onto a side street so that plows can completely open up major streets.
* If you become stuck or stranded in severe weather, stay with your vehicle for warmth and safety until help arrives. While you wait for help to arrive, open a window slightly for ventilation, run your motor sparingly, and use your emergency flashers.
* Turn on your lights to increase your visibility to other travelers. Keep your lights and windshield clean. Don't use cruise control or overdrive on icy roads.
* Do not pass snow plows and sanding trucks. The drivers have limited visibility, and you're likely to find the road in front of them worse than the road behind.
For more travel tips, see PBOT's web page: portlandoregon.gov/transportation/
Travelers must obey road closure signs for their own safety and for the safety of PBOT crews. In the event conditions prompt PBOT to close roads, the bureau will make that information available to the public. For the most current updates on road closures, follow PBOT's Twitter feed at https://twitter.com/PBOTinfo A Twitter account is not necessary to view the listings. PBOT's website will also be updated at http://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/ with weather-related road closures in Portland between the hours of 7 a.m. and 10 p.m.
Residents are advised to notify PBOT of abandoned vehicles, mud, rocks, trees, or branches blocking a road by calling our 24/7 maintenance dispatch hotline at 503-823-1700.