Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Archives & Records Management

Office of the City Auditor

phone: 503-865-4100


1800 SW 6th Ave, Suite 550, Portland, OR 97201

More Contact Info

Send Records

In order to send records to the Archives and Records Center, you will need to fill out the Record Activity Notice (RAN). There are six sheets included in the Records Activity Notice Excel workbook. The first three sheets (blue tabs) are instructions for filling out the forms and for packing the boxes.  The second three sheets (purple tabs) are the forms you’ll need to complete. Please read the instructional sheets first, and then fill out the Box List, the Folder List, and Transfer SheetPlease do not list more than 25 boxes per RAN.

When you're finished filling out the forms, attach the entire RAN workbook to an email and send it to our general PARC email for review and approval. If approved, you’ll receive an email with a Confirmation of Approval number for the shipment; print out the email and attach it to the top of one of the boxes. You’ll also need to contact Printing and Distribution (P&D)  to arrange for a box pick-up. Contact P&D at 503-823-4448 and access the Online Service Order through the P&D website.

If we encounter any problems with your RAN or boxes, someone from PARC will contact you about what corrective actions need to be made.  We encourage people to contact us with questions about the process: or 503-865-4100.

NOTICE: Due to the increased volume of records being sent to the Records Center for storage, the review time of your RAN may take longer than the customary 5 day turnaround. RANS received from offices impacted by the Portland Building renovation will be given priority.  Please follow all rules for filling out the RANS and packing boxes in order to minimize delays.

Due to the increased activity resulting from the Portland Building move, PARC may not be conducting quality control checks as thoroughly as usual.  While this will help facilitate the flow of boxes coming into PARC, it places an even greater responsibility on the bureau to ensure that they are following the requirements for box packing and completing the RAN.  Please remember that mistakes made with correctly identifying and carefully packing boxes may make it difficult for bureaus needing to access records in the future. Bureaus will remain responsible for correcting significant issues with shipments before the boxes will be accepted for storage.

Once the flow of new boxes for storage has normalized, PARC will resume standard quality control checks.

Records Activity Notice (RAN)

Open and download the Records Activity Notice (RAN)

Tutorial - Records Activity Notice (RAN)

Records Activity Notice (RAN) Tutorial

Tutorial - Packing a box to send to the Records Center

Box Packing Tutorial for Records Activity Notice (RAN)

Code and Policy on Transferring Records to the Archives and Records Center

Learn about City Code and Policy related to tranfering records to the Archives and Records Center