This Saturday, October 2nd, marks the first annual Oregon Archives Crawl. The City of Portland Archives and Records Center (PARC) is one of the four archives sites you can visit between 11 a.m. and 4 p.m. (Portland State University Library, Multnomah County Library Central Branch and the Oregon Historical Society are the other three). Additionally, there will be representatives from 20 other institutions participating - see the list below to see who will be there.
Drop by PARC for tours, a chance to look at some historical records, and in general, check out what the Portland Archives has to offer! Some additional activities:
At 12:00 noon Tanya March will discuss how she used appraisal records, scrap books, historic maps, Polk Directories and other resources found at the Archives to help pull together the exhibit materials for a new exhibit at the Architectural Heritage Centerand to expand her research on the Guilds Lake development during the 1930s and 40s. Bring your questions about doing a neighborhood history and how to incorporate archival records.
Throughout the day, Joanne Oleksiak will talk about her research on the 1977 Albina Mural project and what she learned at the Archives while preparing for the local component of a national exhibit on African American murals. The exhibit entitled Walls of Heritage, Walls of Pride will open at the Oregon Historical Society in November.
Please note that Saturday and the Archives Crawl is for celebrating and not for research! The Archives staff will be busy giving tours and showing off some of the historical collections and won't be able to accommodate research requests. If you'd like to do some research, we invite you to visit us during our normally scheduled Research Room hours.
- Archives of the Episcopal Diocese of Oregon
- Genealogical Forum of Oregon
- Library and Archive of Grieg Lodge 15, Sons of Norway
- Hellenic-American Cultural Center and Museum
- Holy Names Heritage Center Archives
- Lewis and Clark College, Watzek Library
- Mazamas Archives and Museum
- Metro Archives
- Multnomah County Records Program
- Oregon Health and Sciences University
- Oregon Jewish Museum
- Oregon Nikkei Center
- Oregon State Archives
- Oregon State Library
- Oregon State University Archives
- Pacific University
- Portland Art Museum, Crumpacker Family Library
- Portland Police Historical Society
- Reed College Library, Special Collections
- University of Portland Archives
- Washington County Museum
- Willamette University
- Dill Pickle Club
- Emporia State University, School of Library Science
- Northwest History Network
- Oregon Cultural Trust, Oregon Days of Culture
- Oregon Public Broadcasting, Oregon Experience
See you on Saturday!