The title of the ordinance proposed by initiative petition is: "An Ordinance to Except Most Adults Over 21 from Criminal Penalties for Possession and Cultivation of Small Personal Amounts of Cannabis, Within Certain Limits.”
The Auditor has designated the prospective petition as ID No. PDX 1 and posted the petition, including the text of the proposed ordinance online at:
- The Auditor has 5 business days to examine the prospective petition for sufficiency and compliance with the single subject rule. Assuming everything is in order, the Auditor will then forward the petition to the City Attorney for preparation of the ballot title.
- The City Attorney will then have 5 business days to prepare the ballot title.
- Upon receipt of the ballot title from the Attorney, the Auditor will publish a Notice of Receipt of Ballot Title in the next available edition of the Oregonian.
- An elector may then file a petition for review of the ballot title in Circuit Court no later than the 7th business day after the Auditor received the ballot tile from the Attorney
- Assuming a petition for review is not filed, the Auditor may then approve signature sheets for circulation.
- To qualify for the November 4, 2008 City ballot, initiative petitions require 27,255 valid signatures of active registered City voters. Signatures are due no later than on
July 7, 2008.
The Initiative Petition log on the City Elections website will be updated as this petition moves through the process.