Notice of Receipt of Ballot Title (6/28/2012)
Notice is hereby given that a ballot title for a measure referred by the Portland City Council to qualified voters at the November 6, 2012 General Election has been filed with the Elections Office of the City of Portland on June 28, 2012.
An elector may file a petition for review of this ballot title in the Multnomah County Circuit Court no later than 5:00 P.M., July 10, 2012.
The ballot title is as follows:
Restore School Arts, Music Education; Fund Arts through Limited Tax
Shall Portland restore arts, music for schools and fund arts through income tax capped at 35 dollars per year?
This measure creates a limited income tax capped at $35 for each adult income-earning Portland resident. Individuals in households below federal poverty level pay no tax.
Tax can only be used for:
- Arts and Music Teachers: Funds to hire arts and music teachers for kindergarten through 5th grade students at local public schools attended by Portland students. Distribution of funds based on school enrollment.
- Arts Access: Remaining funds for grants to nonprofit arts organizations, other nonprofits and schools. Will fund grants to provide high-quality arts access for kindergarten through 12th grade students and to make arts, culture experiences available to underserved communities. Funds administered by Regional Arts and Culture Council (RACC).
Accountability measures include:
- Administrative costs are capped.
- Expenditures subject to oversight by citizen committee.
- Independent financial audits of RACC and School District expenditures.
Estimated funds raised will be $12 million annually. The tax is effective beginning with 2012 tax year, with payment due when state taxes are due.