Notice is hereby given that a ballot title for a measure referred by the Portland City Council to qualified voters at the November 6, 2012 General Election has been filed with the Elections Office of the City of Portland on August 9, 2012.
An elector may file a petition for review of this ballot title in the Multnomah County Circuit Court no later than 5:00 P.M., August 20, 2012.
The ballot title is as follows:
AMENDS CHARTER: CHANGES PROVISIONS OF FIRE POLICE DISABILITY RETIREMENT SYSTEM.
Shall limited provisions of the retirement and disability system for police and fire be changed?
This measure would amend the City Charter for the Fire Police Disability Retirement System (FPDR) by:
- Clarifying the calculation of retirement benefits to include only pay a member received in the year preceding retirement.
- Changing eligibility for disability benefits for new members after completion of six consecutive months of employment as a sworn employee.
- Changing the calculation of service credit to not include post-employment service by another employer.
- Giving the Administrator, with the approval of the Board of Trustees, authority to settle claims.
- Defining service requirements for occupational disability due to heart disease and nonservice-connected disability and death benefits.
- Changing retirement benefits for part-time employees.
- Providing disability benefits on a monthly or bi-weekly basis.
- Providing interim disability benefits during the period between the application and approval of benefits.
- Clarifying language regarding occupational disability benefits.
- Changing from 10 years to 5 years the vesting period for nonservice-connected death benefits.
This amendment is expected to decrease FPDR taxpayer liabilities by $46 Million over a 25 year period.