Notice of Receipt of Ballot Title (01/28/2016)
Notice is hereby given that a ballot title for a City-referred measure has been filed with the Elections Office of the City of Portland on January 28, 2016.
An elector may file a petition for review of this ballot title in the Multnomah County Circuit Court no later than 5:00 P.M. on Monday, February 8, 2016.
The ballot title is as follows:
Temporary Motor Vehicle Fuel Tax for Street Repair, Traffic Safety
Shall Portland adopt four year, 10 cents per gallon fuel tax dedicated to street repair, safety (including safer crossings, sidewalks)?
Measure creates program dedicated to street repair, traffic safety through temporary, ten-cents per gallon tax on motor vehicle fuels in Portland for vehicles not subject to weight-mile tax, estimated to raise $64 million over four years. Tax implemented no earlier than September 2016, expires in four years. Establishes license requirements.
Project categories with examples in each category:
- Street repair , ($35.8 million) - Parts of SE Foster, N Denver, NE Alberta
- Safe Routes to School, ($8.8 million) – Lent Elementary traffic calming, David Douglas HS sidewalks, George Middle School crossings
- Sidewalk completion, ($6.4 million) – SW Capitol Highway, NE 14th
- High Crash Corridor safety improvements, ($3.9 million) - lighting on SE Powell, crosswalk improvements on NE Sandy, 82nd Avenue, SW Beaverton/Hillsdale Highway
- Reducing bicycle / car conflicts, ($5.6 million) – two Neighborhood Greenways in East Portland, safer bicycle routes downtown
- Intersection safety improvements, ($3.4 million) - focused on improving access to transit: NE MLK, US 30
Citizen oversight committee reviews expenditures, provides annual reports. Audits required.